Donegal Furnace (1847-1848)
The Donegal Fumace was located approximately 400' east of the Marietta Furnace ruins. It was built in 1847-1848 by three experienced iron investors from Columbia, James Myers, George Eckert, and Daniel Stine. It operated for about twenty years, during which the highest yield of pig-iron was 5,376 tons in 1870. The original stack was 36' high and 10' at the bosh that was later increased to 12'. The base of the stack is the only visible evidence of this furnace that remains.
There are engravings on an 1850 map that give an idea of what this furnace complex looked like. Recently, account books from 1854 have become available for research and may reveal additional information about the operation of this furnace. After 1872, Dr. Joseph F. Cottrell, Myer's son-in-law, a physician from Columbia, gave up his practice and operated the furnace. It was never extensively remodeled and remained smaller and less technologically advanced than most of the others. It was permanently out of blast by 1886 after which it was allowed to deteriorate.